Cal/EPA Releases Final Policy Recommendations for Green Chemistry Initiative
Sacramento, CA - By Linda S. Adams, Secretary for Environmental Protection - "I am pleased to present the California Environmental Protection Agency's (Cal/EPA) Green Chemistry Initiative (GCI) policy recommendations for strengthening the protection of public health and our environment and moving toward a sustainable California. The GCI proposal presents a new way to look at chemicals in our society, unleashing the creativity and innovation of our scientists and engineers to design and discover the next generation of chemicals."
The six recommendations developed through the California Green Chemistry Initiative constitute a far reaching, market-driven strategy with an ambitious aim—the launch of a new chemicals framework and a quantum shift in environmental protection. These landmark policy options will continue California's environmental leadership and foster a new era in the design of a new consumer products economy - inventing, manufacturing and using toxic-free, sustainable products. They are:
1. Expand Pollution Prevention and product stewardship programs to more business sectors to refocus additional resources on prevention rather than clean up.
2. Develop Green Chemistry Workforce Education and Training, Research and Development and Technology Transfer through new and existing educational programs and partnerships.
3. Create an Online Product Ingredient Network to disclose chemical ingredients for products sold in California, while protecting trade secrets.
4. Create an Online Toxics Clearinghouse, an online database of chemical toxicity and hazards populated with the guidance of a Green Ribbon Science Panel to help prioritize chemicals of concern and data needs.
5. Accelerate the Quest for Safer Products, creating a systematic, science-based process to evaluate chemicals of concern and alternatives to ensure product safety and reduce or eliminate the need for chemical-by-chemical bans.
6. Move Toward a Cradle-to-Cradle Economy to leverage market forces to produce products that are "benign-by-design" in part by establishing a California Green Products Registry to develop green metrics and tools (e.g., environmental footprint calculators, sustainability indices) for a range of consumer products and encourage their use by businesses.
. . . . The California Green Chemistry Initiative builds on Governor Schwarzenegger's leadership in environmental protection, climate change and natural resource preservation. Under his leadership, we can establish the six recommendations as official policy for the State of California and continue building the framework for a sustainable California.
* * * * *
Green Chem & Safer Consumer Products Regs; Pollution Prevention; and Sustainability
CICC FOUNDERS & PIONEERS
The Early Years - Incorp. 1981
Teleconference & Web-Mtgs
1st and 3rd Fridays each month
Members In the Spotlight
"Caught in the Act of Doing Good"
NEW . . . . CA Chemical Industry Opportunities
PRIORITY LEGS & REGS
LEG INFO & STATUS
Members, Rules, Glossary of Terms, Calendar, How a Bill Becomes Law
Session Dates and Deadlines
Official CA Legislative Info
Search by Bill No, Author or Key Word
Today In the Capitol Building
Committee Mtgs & Floor Sessions
New California Laws
Laws enacted 2010 thru 2016
Search 29 Separate Codes
Essential Links to State & Federal Websites
Governor, CA Legislature, Cal/EPA, Congress, U.S. EPA - and more
CUPA NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
Hazardous Materials Business Plan - Presentation
SAFETY / SECURITY & TRAINING
Security Training & Educational Events
Members must login to view links
Homeland Security Information Network (HSIN)
Members must login to view links
IN THE NEWS!
California Challenges & Opportunities
Prior Months News Stories, Issues & Items, Flash and more ---
News, Weather & more
Today's News From MSNBC